Pitching rate for cider

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:09 am

In a few days I'm going to make my first cider ever. Since the must I'll be using is pasteurized, I will use yeast from White Labs (WLP775 English cider yeast). My question is this: Can I use Jamils pitching rate calculator to get the right rate, or are the pitching rates for cider different from the Pope's numbers?
Gahr Smith-Gahrsen, Bergen, Norway

7 Fjell Bryggeri and ABC Brewing
Gahr

Re: Pitching rate for cider

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 pm

I was going to kick off a starter for mine as well, but blew it off. I pitched WLP 775 into on 2.5 gallon batch and Red Star Coite de Blanc in the other. OG was 1.042. I am reading Andrew Lea's book now and just finished the critical parts of another book (Cider, Hard and Sweet). It seems like dry yeast may require a small starter but I've so no similar recommendation for the liquid cultures. Additionally, it would seem that a slightly incomplete fermentation would leave some residual sweetness. I'll post my results on this forum. I have 5 more gallons of fresh-pressed unpasteurized cider coming my way tomorrow and am going to split that into 2 more batches after I ensure the OG is 1.045 or greater. I may even do 2-2 gallon batches (WLP775 and WLP300) and then take 1 gallon and let it go naturally.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:58 pm

You don't need to make a starter for ciders. at least for a 5-10 gallon batch you don't. The must is 100% ferment able. A Wyeast smack pack, or a Whitelabs vile, is plenty. You should rehydrate any dry yeast packs if your going to go that route.
Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!
hotrod38

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 am

Thanks. I went with pitching a vial of WLP775 directly into 10 liters of a 11.4 degrees Brix pasturized must. I also added half a teaspoon of Wyeast nutrient. Pitched the yeast yesterday, and it is already bubbling away nicely. According to the numbers I get from Jamils calculator I have pitched about 0.6 mill. cells/ml/P. Can't be too bad?
Gahr Smith-Gahrsen, Bergen, Norway

7 Fjell Bryggeri and ABC Brewing
Gahr

Return to Mead & Cider