Brett Apfelwein?

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:23 am

Someone gave me some Wyeast 5526 Brettanomyces Lambicus and I thought about making a test batch of Apfelwein with it. Start off with some US-05 in a gallon of juice with some table suger added? Sould I go wine yeast first? After that was done thrown in the Brett. Could I just go straight Brett on this?
Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
derfburg

Re: Brett Apfelwein?

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 am

I dont see why not.

I had some Normandy ciders recently, they were wild fermented ciders and had obvious brett character to them.

I reckon a blend of the ale yeast and the brett might be a safer bet.. but what the hell. Apples and brett flavours obviously mix... I say give it a shot and see what happens.
Thirsty Boy

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:32 am

I think I will. Should I do the Ale yeast first, let it ferm out then add the brett?
Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
derfburg

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Are you only planning on doing a gallon batch? If so, I would just throw the brett in although you might actually get some more character from it using it as a secondary yeast providing there are still some remaining sugars left after the ale yeast chomps down.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Mead & Cider