3) I don't do anything
77%
4) No pants
15%

Total votes : 13

How do you treat your must?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:42 am

All,
With National Mead Day fast approaching I find myself going back to the question I always have about mead…how should one prepare their must?

While I’ve always heated my must to pasteurize, I read the Complete Mead Maker again, and I find myself leaning toward Mr. Schramm’s no heat, no sulfite method. That being said, I will be giving a mead making demonstration this weekend at a honey farm. I’m confident that, within the confines of my own home, I can prepare must in a sanitary environment, but out in a field? I’m not so sure.

So, I’m thinking about using my 11 gallon boil kettle to heat the must to 140F for about 25 minutes to pasteurize or 160F for 5-10 as stated in the Complete Mead Maker (I'm pretty sure that those are the temps and times). With that I find myself wondering whether or not the above temperatures and times would be sufficient to sanitize my ball valve?
What do you think?

Thanks!
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Re: How do you treat your must?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:20 am

Personally I heat my must. But I am also getting my water from a artsian well. I got a good deal on a 5 gallon bucket of fireweed honey a while back and i have made 15 gallons of a 6-7%ABV session mead, 10 gallons of a 14-15%ABV mead and 3 gallons of a dessert mead 20%ABV. I didnt want to waste that much honey on possible bacteria in the water so i heated it to 170 and held it there for 15 min before cooling and pitching.
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:40 am

How do you drain from your kettle? Do you use a siphon, or do you go through a ball valve?
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 am

I go through the ball valve. But i do make sure to wash it before hand and i also run hot water through it before hand.
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Return to Mead & Cider