Mead bottling options

Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:07 pm

I have a small batch of mead that's about ready for bottling. I don't have any supplies for corking bottles or anything. Is there any problem with just capping a mead in a long neck bottle with regular beer caps? I'd plan on keeping headspace to a minimum to minimize oxidation. I personally don't see it being a problem, I've just never heard of anyone doing it, and am curious if there's a reason
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Re: Mead bottling options

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:47 am

No issue with that at all. That is exactly what my buddy Mark does with a lot of his mead.
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:34 am

Not a problem at all and if you are worried about oxygenation use the O2 absorbing caps. Or use swing tops, or screw top wine bottles, or a keg.
yabodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03 pm

I use the swing top Grolsch bottles for Mead, and have never had and problems with them. I force carbonate a Sweet Mead that turns out much like Verde Spumanti and serve most of it on tap, but usualy fill a couple of 6 packs of bottles to give away.
Kegged:
- Nothin'

Fermenting:
- Nothin'

On Deck:
- Not sure. Yes, I'm a lazy F-in' slacker these days...

BN Army Sgt. Reposado, Hell-on-Earth Division :bnarmy:
Reposado

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:51 pm

All mine are bottled and capped in bombers, a few 12 oz-ers for taste testing and the occasional Grolsch fliptop.
Pri: Community Nudity Ale, Magician Red Ale, Berliner Weisse
Bottled: Paxton's Tripel and Dubbel, 400 Rabbits Ale, Cap'n Crunch Amber Oat Ale

o-<-'<
rhino777

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:42 pm

Does anyone put priming sugar in the mead??? I bottled one up a few weeks ago and it exploded.....I have had it fermenting for about 6 weeks....It's in plastic and desperately needs to be moved to glass before it goes totally ruined...Will it be fine in bottles?
Dmp

Return to Mead & Cider