Rubber Cork in Fermenter...oops!!

Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Well the topic really tells the story. Obviuosly I pushed it in by mistake and decided to leave it in rather than risk any contamination by trying to get it out. It went in hours before the primary fermentation started and now my 5.5 gals of pomergranite mead is in full fermentation. What effect do you think the cork will have on the final flavor, if any?
jawhead

Re: Rubber Cork in Fermenter...oops!!

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:22 pm

jawhead wrote:Well the topic really tells the story. Obviuosly I pushed it in by mistake and decided to leave it in rather than risk any contamination by trying to get it out. It went in hours before the primary fermentation started and now my 5.5 gals of pomergranite mead is in full fermentation. What effect do you think the cork will have on the final flavor, if any?

None. They are food grade and will not react with any fermented beverage. Check out this thread to find out how to remove it:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14943&start=0

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Return to Mead & Cider