Cider and Chico Yeast

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 am

I might throw together a quick cider, but the only yeast I have is S-05. That'll work fine, right? My plan is to keep the fermentation temp between 60 - 65. Or, should I mail order mead/cider yeast?
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake

1 Timothy 5:23
Cosmic Charlie

Re: Cider and Chico Yeast

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:38 am

I used it in a 10% cyser and it was fine. I'd say go for it. You will at least get a pleasant drinking cider.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:37 pm

I've used it and would use it again.
Sent From My iPhone

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:29 am

Well, it looks like I can't get fresh pressed apple juice this time of year where I live. I guess I have to wait until Fall (or visit a bigger city).
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake

1 Timothy 5:23
Cosmic Charlie

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:51 pm

i have used hef yeast to make ciders and they come out great. I have even racked the wyeast 3068 yeast from a german hef straight into fresh pressed juice. The ciders are surprisingly clear with this yeast too. The interesting part with using beer yeasts with cider is the beer yeast leave some sugar and nit ferment the cider out to zero. this leaves a perception of body. Yes, there is a "body in cider".
:bnarmy:
beer. simply, beer.
ipaisay

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 pm

ipaisay wrote:i have used hef yeast to make ciders and they come out great. I have even racked the wyeast 3068 yeast from a german hef straight into fresh pressed juice. The ciders are surprisingly clear with this yeast too. The interesting part with using beer yeasts with cider is the beer yeast leave some sugar and nit ferment the cider out to zero. this leaves a perception of body. Yes, there is a "body in cider".
:bnarmy:

I agree. I've used wine yeast and hefe yeast and prefer the hefe yeast.
Even on apple juice....
dunleav1

Return to Mead & Cider