Mead Bottling Time

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 am

I am ready to bottle my first mead and I'd like some advice. I brewed a dry mead with K1V-1116 and a starting gravity of 1.103 (I think, I don't have my notes at work). I know that it finished at 0.999 and about 16% ABV. I split it into six one gallon jugs and flavored each one differently (plain, oak, dried cranberries, honey tangerine juice, chilli peppers, and mint). It was an experimental batch to see what I want to repeat large scale. Plain was a bit harsh but has already started to mellow, the oak was not harsh, and was great early, the fruit flavors were really bad, but I'm betting they'll age out ok, the mint was like mouthwash, and is destined for a marinade, and the chili was fantastic, hot but not long lasting, tastes like poblano chillies.

The secondary fermentation is complete and they have been inactive for months (5+). I'm moving, and want to bottle them up so that they are stable. I'm pushing the ABV tolerance of the strain (18% according to Lalvin), especially in those flavors that had additional sugars in them (berries and juice).

My question: Could I get away with no additives (sulphites/sorbate) if I don't backsweeten? If I do sweeten, what kind of additions should I use? My wife has migranes, so I'd like to avoid high sulphite levels, but will if necessary. I want them to be still, and plan on bottling in 375 ml wine bottles and 12oz long necks. Any suggestions?
Corporal, BN Army Rural/BFE Division
On Tap: Janet's Brown (Sextuple Hopped!)
Secondary: none
Primary:
Bottled: Cider, Mead, Blonde, Wine
On Deck: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and Scottish 70/-
DrYeast

Re: Mead Bottling Time

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:10 pm

When are you moving? the answer to that will decide what you can do.

Simple answer is don't back sweeten and just bottle them up as they are you will be fine.
yabodie

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:19 pm

I don't sulfite or sorbate my meads and a buddy of mine busted out a bottle from my very first batch I made two years and it was really good.
Pri: Community Nudity Ale, Magician Red Ale, Berliner Weisse
Bottled: Paxton's Tripel and Dubbel, 400 Rabbits Ale, Cap'n Crunch Amber Oat Ale

o-<-'<
rhino777

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:03 am

I'm moving in March to PA (~6h). I've got some time, but I want to bottle them sooner rather than later because I've got a lot of non-brewing packing to do. I think that I'm going to try no additives or sweetener and then cork and wax them, then store them in cases inside of a rubbermaid just in case.
Corporal, BN Army Rural/BFE Division
On Tap: Janet's Brown (Sextuple Hopped!)
Secondary: none
Primary:
Bottled: Cider, Mead, Blonde, Wine
On Deck: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and Scottish 70/-
DrYeast

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:36 am

I did a mint mead once too and it was hella mouthwash.. But after it had laid down for a few years, it started to become approachable.

If your not going to back sweeten and any of the meads you added extra sugars too, the dried cranberries has fermented those sugars out. Then you should be ok to bottle. I stopped adding sulphites and sorbate to my meads years ago.
kace069

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:33 am

If you are moving in March, just bottle and go for it not enough time to ensure fermentation does not start up again.
yabodie

Return to Mead & Cider