Re: Blueberry Melomel

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:39 pm

i just got that blueberry juice in the mail. it claims that each 32oz bottle has the juice of 24 pounds of blueberries. the nutrition info on the side of the bottle claims that there is 16oz of sugar in the juice. I hope that its just the natural sugars of blueberries.
suck it
boobookittyfuk

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 pm

I just pitched 2#s of blueberries from my back yard into 1 gallon of mead that I started in May. I froze the berries, ran them in the food processor into a puree. I then brought them up to 160 degrees in a pot for a few minutes and then cooled and added to fermentor.
dunleav1

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:06 pm

boobookittyfuk wrote:i just got that blueberry juice in the mail. it claims that each 32oz bottle has the juice of 24 pounds of blueberries. the nutrition info on the side of the bottle claims that there is 16oz of sugar in the juice. I hope that its just the natural sugars of blueberries.

I judged recently with Steve Piatz who has been Meadmaker of the year. He mentioned using fruit juice concentrate in meads. I asked him where he got it and he said he had done a group buy through Brownwood Acres, whose concentrate you have pictured above. Coincidentally I had just bought the exact product pictured above and that mead is about finished and it worked well (I used half a bottle in secondary, 8 lbs of frozen blueberries in primary, big melomel).

Since then I've noticed that a lot of the NHC winning meads from St Paul guys have 24 lbs of fruit listed.
JohnF

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:32 am

JohnF wrote:
boobookittyfuk wrote:i just got that blueberry juice in the mail. it claims that each 32oz bottle has the juice of 24 pounds of blueberries. the nutrition info on the side of the bottle claims that there is 16oz of sugar in the juice. I hope that its just the natural sugars of blueberries.

I judged recently with Steve Piatz who has been Meadmaker of the year. He mentioned using fruit juice concentrate in meads. I asked him where he got it and he said he had done a group buy through Brownwood Acres, whose concentrate you have pictured above. Coincidentally I had just bought the exact product pictured above and that mead is about finished and it worked well (I used half a bottle in secondary, 8 lbs of frozen blueberries in primary, big melomel).

Since then I've noticed that a lot of the NHC winning meads from St Paul guys have 24 lbs of fruit listed.

awesome!
it just seemed like so much less work. add juice, stir, and let referment. last night i added a whole 32oz bottle to about 2.5 gallons of lambic. It is dark purple in color right now. I pulled a sample and would say that right now there is not as much "blueberry" flavor as I'd expect. There is almost no blueberry aroma but that might be because the acids in the lambic are quit strong. There was a little bit of concentrate left in the bottle. I played around adding some water to the left over concentrate to see what to expect as far as fruit flavors/aromas that might contribute. I wouldn't say that it is super blueberry (like i had expected). When diluting the concentrate 1:3, it tasted like grape juice but smelled like blueberry. when diluted 1:8 it tasted more like blueberry but became a touch astringent (maybe because the sugars were too diluted?). The bottle suggests diluting 1:5.
suck it
boobookittyfuk

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider