Uh, I am new, but been brewing a long time

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Hello. I just posted in a forum here about waking up from a nap a few days ago and deciding to be a brewer. I was asking some questions about cider. Anyway, I am retired, with time on my hand, and I understand thats one of the major components to brewing, was time. Lots of time. So it made sense I become a brewer. Now, I am interested in mead and cider since I can get my craft beer rather readily, but I can't find any mead around here, and when I ask about cider, they always point me to my local supermarket. So, with my wife's credit card (hell, I wouldn't use mine for this stuff) I went out and bought carboys, fermentation buckets, a crapload of airlocks, auto-syphons, a couple hydromodometrizers or whatever they're called, and some yeast. Lots of yeast.

So, I'll be asking questions, cruising the boards, and looking for information. I'm on Skype, so always eager to talk to a real person about this stuff, so if you have it, I'm JDWebb61. Love to talk to you about this stuff.
Home Brewing Biography: Home brewing? I have extensive knowledge and experience in home brewing. Most every cup of coffee I have ever drank was brewed at home. In a percolator coffee pot. Have you seen one? Skype - JDWebb61 if you want to talk brewing!
JDWebb

Re: Uh, I am new, but been brewing a long time

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:49 pm

Welcome!
I'm sure your knowledge will be a great resource.

Daddy Biers.
Daddy Biers

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:00 pm

LOL, thanks, but my brewing knowledge centers around brewing coffee, you see, I've been doing THAT for years! I'm here more to learn, I am retired with the one big requirement you need to do this I've read...time, and I have lots of it! Thanks for the welcome though!
Home Brewing Biography: Home brewing? I have extensive knowledge and experience in home brewing. Most every cup of coffee I have ever drank was brewed at home. In a percolator coffee pot. Have you seen one? Skype - JDWebb61 if you want to talk brewing!
JDWebb

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Welcome to the BN. Have you been listening to the podcasts? The knowledge gained listening to the BN podcasts have one of the biggest factors in helping me brew good beer. I haven't tried making cider yet but I'm looking forward to getting in cider.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Hello, and no, I haven't listened to them yet. But let me explain, I don't have an interest in brewing beer...yet. My reason being, there are so many craft beers to choose from, I find I can be very satisfied with what I can get at my liquor outlet and the restaurants we frequent. I am more interested in the brews I can't find like mead and cider. I think craft brewers have done us all a service that SABMiller and AB/Inbev have not, and that is give us beer they way it is supposed to taste. Hats off to the home brewers who have the desire to brew beer as it should be brewed. In the mean time, I find it fascinating, spend more time on YouTube with my Apple TV and Roku than I do with my regular cable looking at brewing videos!
JDWebb

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:18 pm

mobrewer wrote:I'm looking forward to getting in cider.

You and me both brother.... 8)
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Haaa, in cider! My inner 8th grader just never gets tired of that one. Cuz it sounds so much like another thing. You know what im talking about, in cid er.... am I right? Huh? Funny stuff
Klickitat Jim

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:17 am

Welcome!

Here's a presentation that Kristen England did in 2008 at NHC on Mead making. He references Curt Stock and the staggered nutrient addition (SNA), which has helped me tremendously.

There are a ton of experience mead and cider makers here so if you have questions, ask away.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Next

Return to New Users