Re: DOWNLOAD LIMITS

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 am

CRBrewHound wrote:
codewritinfool wrote:
CRBrewHound wrote:I think your metrics are already shot as I have seen several other places hosting your podcasts that you can stream.

If you give me examples I can fix that.

After looking, I am not sure that my above statment was entirely correct. As now that I look at it they are all podcast sites. So they may be accounted for by your metrixs. I could have swore I listened to some of the early Jamil shows on a private site but I can not find it. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Only place I've seen outside links are on Fred Bonjour's site, but all his links go back to the BN site. http://beerdujour.com/JamilsBrewingNetworkRecipes.htm
Chris Graham wrote: "What do I do with this?"

Justin wrote: "Just blow."
yellowcolumbia

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:57 am

codewritinfool wrote:Everything tests out ok here.

Odd, I went out and came back and the show from Sunday downloaded, and I'm also able to get some archives. No worries!!

Thanks Code.
Ranger, West Point - Hessian Lake Division
Hessian Lake Brewing
Hessian Lake

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:03 pm

yellowcolumbia wrote:Only place I've seen outside links are on Fred Bonjour's site, but all his links go back to the BN site. http://beerdujour.com/JamilsBrewingNetworkRecipes.htm

Pretty sure that was the site, gezz, getting to be an old man, my memories are playing tricks on me.
CRBrewHound

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 pm

jfkriege wrote:I listened through the last Sunday Session and was surprised to hear talk of $60/yr to get access to the whole BN archive. What surprised me even more was how it was talked about.

What are the costs to the BN for me to go on and download the whole archive? If it is a matter of covering costs, then I dont see an issue with that. Let me know what it is, and I will cover that (I have been a listener for two years now, but recently lost my computer and am having to re-download a bunch of older podcasts). Or, you could just put a download speed cap on users after the first few hours of content downloaded.

You aren't covering costs, you are paying them for their work, ie profit.

If, however, you are going to be charging more than that, own it. You have every right to charge for this content (most of it anyway - maybe not lunch meet). Please, though, dont say you need to cover cost and then charge more than that; it feels like you are not being genuine. Say you are going to make money off of it, charge what you had in mind, and then stick to it.

So it's their right to charge what they think is a fair price, but they don't have the right to change it at any time? Makes no sense.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:30 pm

I personally wouldn't mind paying for archive access, although I think doing so would curtail recruitment of new members in the long run. After all, most come for the Bier Information and stay for the personalities. But recruits will be lost on the running gags without being able to listen to older episodes AND can get the Bier Information, at least to some extent, elsewhere for free. Can't be no PFC without going through basic training first!

If you are going to charge for downloads despite that, then please drop the annoying live read ads. It's like Hulu Plus - if I pay for a premium service, I don't want to have to listen to commercials as well (I don't mind the regular commercial breaks, but the live reads are another story.)
CreepyKoelsch

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:39 pm

CreepyKoelsch wrote:I personally wouldn't mind paying for archive access, although I think doing so would curtail recruitment of new members in the long run. After all, most come for the Bier Information and stay for the personalities. But recruits will be lost on the running gags without being able to listen to older episodes AND can get the Bier Information, at least to some extent, elsewhere for free. Can't be no PFC without going through basic training first!

If you are going to charge for downloads despite that, then please drop the annoying live read ads. It's like Hulu Plus - if I pay for a premium service, I don't want to have to listen to commercials as well (I don't mind the regular commercial breaks, but the live reads are another story.)

I'll echo the same sentiment. I think charging for access to archives is a fine idea. The downside is picking up new people. I found the BN because someone sent me a link to the sanitation show. In turn I have shared links to specific shows to answer questions.
stadelman

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Being a brand as they are, they are talent. When a talent reads an advertisement instead of it being recorded and played live, the cost is more. More ad revenue means more money for the BN and a larger budget to provide for content. Reduce the number of live ads by the talent, you will have less content and the loss in revenue will mean higher member fees than current. Advertising is very much a tiered pricing system.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:55 am

Perhaps my point would be better phrased this way:

Please dont say that you need to cover costs and then charge far more. If you are going to charge more, then just say you are now charging for content. Otherwise it seems disingenuous.

Adam wrote:
jfkriege wrote:I listened through the last Sunday Session and was surprised to hear talk of $60/yr to get access to the whole BN archive. What surprised me even more was how it was talked about.

What are the costs to the BN for me to go on and download the whole archive? If it is a matter of covering costs, then I dont see an issue with that. Let me know what it is, and I will cover that (I have been a listener for two years now, but recently lost my computer and am having to re-download a bunch of older podcasts). Or, you could just put a download speed cap on users after the first few hours of content downloaded.

You aren't covering costs, you are paying them for their work, ie profit.

If, however, you are going to be charging more than that, own it. You have every right to charge for this content (most of it anyway - maybe not lunch meet). Please, though, dont say you need to cover cost and then charge more than that; it feels like you are not being genuine. Say you are going to make money off of it, charge what you had in mind, and then stick to it.

So it's their right to charge what they think is a fair price, but they don't have the right to change it at any time? Makes no sense.
jfkriege

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Radio