Partial Mash Strong ale: Is it stuck or is it done

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Ok so I brewed Northern Brewer's Bridge Burner partial extract recipe on October 4 and i thought everything went well on my brew day i was a few points off of the OG coming in a 1.093 instead of 1.091 that the instructions said. After about 2 weeks I racked it into a glass carboy with a gravity of 1.030, all the while ignoring the little yeasties still floating at the top.

(Oct 21) 2 weeks later I checked the gravity again and the gravity was still 1.030 which is a pretty far cry from the 1.024 beersmith said I should be hitting. Thinking I racked it too early, and now have a stuck fermentation I added yeast energizer at the suggestion of the LHBS owner and moved into my furnace closet where the beer sat at a pretty consistent 72°

About 2 weeks later (Nov 1) I checked again and it was still the same so I pitched 2 packs of US05 to see if I could knock it down some more. At this point the taste was really good but it had some hot alcohols going on.

Which brings me to today (Dec 2) while prepping two other beers for bottling tomorrow, I'd figured I'd check the gravity and again it was at 1.030. The sample is good and it lost a lot of the hot alcohols it had before so I'm assuming the yeast is still plugging away.

But what I really want to know is, is it safe to assume that I cocked up my mash and that my beer is actually done. Should i just go ahead and bottle it? I was hoping to have this by X-Mas.

GRAIN
1 lbs MaltEurop 2-row malt
1.25 lbs Aromatic malt
1 lb Belgian Caramunich malt
0.5 lb Briess Caramel 80L
0.32 lb English Chocolate Malt
FERMENTABLES
6 lbs Gold malt syrup
3.15 lbs Gold malt syrup late addition (15 min)
1 lbs Amber dry malt extract late addition (15 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
1.5 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.75 oz Cascade (20 min)
0.75 oz Willamette (15 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (dry hop)
0.5 oz Centennial (dry hop)
0.5 oz Chinook (dry hop)
YEAST
Wyeast 1056
Ddays

Re: Partial Mash Strong ale: Is it stuck or is it done

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 pm

If it were all grain I'd expect the FG to be around 1.020, but liquid extract is its own monster. I don't know the fermentability of NB's gold and amber extract but if pitching 2 S05 packs didn't bring it down in a month, it's done.

It's probably still going to be hot by the 25th but it'll keep conditioning in the bottles if you package it up now.
Bobbie Dooley

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing