how long to condition a dry stout?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 am

Did the BCS dry stout and it has a taste at the end that is off-putting. It has only been conditioning for a week and a half, so it could be a matter of letting it sit for a while longer.

Also, what would be your ideal way of bottle conditioning...as far as temperatures? Two weeks room temp then a week at fridge temps? Would a week at fridge temp buy you anything over room temp then cool before drinking?

There is a local club competition next week. I am going to submit this beer plus a better tasting (to me) APA to get some feedback besides the lame friends feedback that I have gotten up to this point. I think my patience might need to be recalibrated, but I also feel that there is a hole in my brewing that needs filling. :unicornrainbow:
"Some find religion because they see the light, others because they feel the heat" -Ray Wylie Hubbard
grebe

Re: how long to condition a dry stout?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 am

I would let it sit at room temp until the competition. They will put it in the fridge before judging. Seems like most of my beers need 6 weeks or so to peak. I would still enter the beer though. If it is a process issue, you MIGHT get helpful feedback.
Effingbeer

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:48 am

Sometimes beers with a good dose of roasted grains (as in your dry stout) can take a bit longer than usual to meld together and get smooth. You might also be tasting a bit of "greeness" in the beer which can be caused by yeast bite and some compounds not being cleaned up in the beer yet.

As stated above, let the beer sit warm to properly room condition. After 2 wks, you can pop 1 or 2 in the fridge and see what the carbonation is like. If you like it, then consume some of your hard-earned work!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:32 pm

My last stout was perfect after 10 days at room temp. It was the NB irish stout.
lildoc

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 am

lildoc wrote:My last stout was perfect after 10 days at room temp. It was the NB irish stout.

This is my next brew. any advice on the process here? I'd like to do a full boil.

How long in primary
Secondary
I usually keg but this is my first Irish stout.
Is it better for appearance and head if it is bottle conditioned? I don't have the nitrogen system that is commonly used for stouts.
Frostbrewer

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing