Re: brew #2 in the planning stage

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:31 am

That's actually my preferred temp for that yeast strain. It'll perform with good results all the way down into the upper 50's. Just give it some extra time - the initial fermentation will go really strong & then it'll ride the rest of the way out a bit more slowly. After you hit terminal gravity, moving it to the 70 degree area would be a good idea for a day or 2 before packaging.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 am

Very cool.

I figured I was good, but thought it was worth asking if for no other reason than to breathe some life into this forum...and to let bdoh know that I was using the recipe he threw up.
"Some find religion because they see the light, others because they feel the heat" -Ray Wylie Hubbard
grebe

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:32 am

I went out and checked my setup yesterday afternoon, found that my heat setting was low...duh. I bumped it up two degrees to hit 65. This morning, I found that the yeast went nutz during the night and I had blowoff into my bubbler. I guess a little temp difference goes a long ways.
"Some find religion because they see the light, others because they feel the heat" -Ray Wylie Hubbard
grebe

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm

hate when this happens. Had the same thing occur with my scottish ale, spent the next hour that morning cleaning yeast sludge off the floor. My dog still sniffs and licks the floor. such a good helper.
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:48 am

PorkSlapper wrote:hate when this happens. Had the same thing occur with my scottish ale, spent the next hour that morning cleaning yeast sludge off the floor. My dog still sniffs and licks the floor. such a good helper.

Yeah, I've got it going on with my cream ale right now. No explosions or anything crazy, just having to clean out the airlock daily.
12stones

Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:57 am

Had 3 blow outs...all minor. Back to a normal bubbling this morning.

I am drinking my first home brew now and it is pretty good, but I am very excited about this one because it smells so good.
grebe

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing