Steeping Two row malt in Extract with grain recipe

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:31 pm

What is the point in steeping Two row malt when making an Extract recipe with grains? Does this add some complexity to the wort? I can understand steeping more specialty grains for color or maybe wheat, rye etc... for taste. It just doesnt seem like Two Row malt is going to add much.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Steeping Two row malt in Extract with grain recipe

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:35 pm

If you're steeping within the enzyme active range for amylase, you may get something out of it...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Ok, the recipe says to steep at 152F for 45min, so that must be the intention. Thx.
Jason.

Longtermferm:

crashlann

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:15 pm

You (or the recipe author) may be conflating "steeping" and "mini-mashing". I would define steeping as soaking grains in water with no conversion taking place (e.g. with roasted malts, or the grist ratio being too thin for conversion). Mini-mashing I would define as soaking grains in water but using a grist ratio and temperature to promote starch conversion. Using these definitions, one would not steep two row, munich, wheat, etc. as they will leave unconverted starches. They must be mini-mashed. Some things, such as unmalted wheat and oats, will not convert by themselves, as they do not have the amylase enzymes present. A minimash recipe using these will thus also have two-row (or other base malt) included to provide the necessary enzymes.

If your recipe calls for you to steep two row and only two row, I would save yourself the time and just use extract. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between a quality fresh extract and grain in a blind test.
siwelwerd

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm

I was looking at the Alesmith IPA clone recipe in BYO. It definitely says steep.
Jason.

Longtermferm:

crashlann

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:13 am

Not to discount the above, but it does add a nice fresh 'grainy' flavor as well. Usually not a huge amount, but that may also be that I live a few hours away from a malting house - it's actually the largest building in the state of Montana.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:37 am

If this is the recipe . . . . http://hbd.org/discus/messages/34426/38888.html . . . . then “steeping” 2 row at 152 is really forcing you to perform a mini-mash. Out of the five specialty malts, only the crystal and honey malts can contribute by steeping. The carapils, munich and wheat need to be mashed in order to add anything meaningful to the party. I also think that mashing may offer more from the very small amounts of those grains.
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 am

I think the question is whether an honest steep of 2-row, wheat, etc... will do good. If you are steeping them in the 2.5-5 gallon batch on the stove, even if it is at 155 degrees which is right for conversion, the ratio of grain to water is way too high to allow conversion. Therefore saying that steeping them at the right temp is the same as a mini-mash is false.

So the question remains is there ANY benefit to steeping base malts. I think Ozwald is making a case for steeping base malts because it does add a complexity to the flavor. And in an honest mini-mash you have to have base malts to allow for conversion.

Sounds like an extract brewer with a good process down should do a test!
theobrew

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing