Re: Looking for an honest opinion.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 am

snowcapt wrote:Big forearms, huh? What ever have you been doing to bulk them up?

Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:29 pm

And drink it quick - early on the good yeast will likely outcompete anything from your arm but the longer you wait the more likely and the stronger the off flavors will develop.

Ditto the rcommendation:

spiderwrangler wrote:.... the better course of action would have been to run and get another grommet and not worry about that one, as it should have been clean and sanitary already. If you sanitized your arm, that's better than reaching in without, but still something I'd avoid.

Skin is notoriously difficult to sanitize .... surgeons keep their nails short and pick all the crap out from underneath while doing a 2 minute antiseptic scrub .......
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:46 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:If you sanitized your arm, that's better than reaching in without

While the underlying 'theme' of this thread is funny all by itself (& DarkSide, nice find on the Quagmire pic - it was the first thing that came to my mind too :lol:), this particular gem is priceless. I'm sitting around drinking & cleaning carboys that got put out in the garage with yeast rings on them... 2 years ago. Thanks Spidey, I needed that!
:jnj
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:03 pm

best to slow down and not make knee jerk reactions. Its only your second batch too, you'll get better with every attempt.
Rufo B Padsworth

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:47 pm

snowcapt wrote:Big forearms, huh? What ever have you been doing to bulk them up?

Remember to switch hands from time to time when you touch yourself to prevent this from happening. :lol:
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Ozwald wrote: I'm sitting around drinking & cleaning carboys that got put out in the garage with yeast rings on them... 2 years ago. Thanks Spidey, I needed that!

Damn dude....and I thought I was a slacker going a week sometimes......throw in a scoop of Oxyclean, fill that bitch with warm water, and they will be spotless in the morning!!

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:37 am

Whitebeard_Brewer wrote:
Ozwald wrote: I'm sitting around drinking & cleaning carboys that got put out in the garage with yeast rings on them... 2 years ago. Thanks Spidey, I needed that!

Damn dude....and I thought I was a slacker going a week sometimes......throw in a scoop of Oxyclean, fill that bitch with warm water, and they will be spotless in the morning!!

Yeah, some health issues left the brew equipment by the wayside for a while. I had 5 of them out there. I had 2 kegs of PBW already made up from cleaning the brewstand & 1 conical on Saturday for my 1st brew in 2 years. It felt great. Now that I got one bubbling away I'm going through the rest of the gear. I was using my old 6 gallon brewpot to keep the PBW hot, so it was just a lengthy process. Soak one for an hour, transfer back to pot to reheat, transfer back for another soak & quick scrub, reheat, next one. The last one has something stuck to the bottom, so I just left a gallon of PBW in there. I'll probably just leave it like that until I get all of my kegs rebuilt & the other conical clean. At least the 1st 4 went alright & are sparkly, sanitized & capped with foil. One's got a Flanders Red written all over it. Stupid Thanksgiving, now I have to wait until next week to get my NB order. Apparently I stopped at a good time cause even though I have about 125# of base malt & 15# of hops, almost every one of my specialty grain buckets are down to nothing. I think the trickier part is going to be going through all those 2 year old hops. Thanks Niko.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing