Re: Using black pepper in an APA or a Wit.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:04 pm

When is the best time to add this Peppered Vodka concoction?
Enjoy Great Beer!

:bnarmy: San Diego Special OP's BN Army :bnarmy:
TapItGood

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:10 pm

TapItGood wrote:When is the best time to add this Peppered Vodka concoction?

add it at bottling

I've done similar with spice and cocoa flavored vodka for different beers, cheap vodka + nalgene container + time = homemade extract
On tap 1: Dry Irish
On tap 2: El Jefeweizen
On tap 3: Vienna
kegged: Rye Amber, Belgian Dark Strong, CYBI Mirror Pond, Irish Red, RIS
lagering: Vienna, Helles, Cream Ale, CAP
Field

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 am

Awesome. Thanks a lot.
settlesdown

Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:13 pm

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel is doing this with a lovely rye beer. It's just a bit spicy & tingly on the finish.

http://micro.dieuduciel.com/en/beers.php
mjatallah

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 am

didn't someone try to clone the Furthermore beer that had pepper in it?
Pri: Community Nudity Ale, Magician Red Ale, Berliner Weisse
Bottled: Paxton's Tripel and Dubbel, 400 Rabbits Ale, Cap'n Crunch Amber Oat Ale

o-<-'<
rhino777

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:59 am

rhino777 wrote:didn't someone try to clone the Furthermore beer that had pepper in it?

I DID! I DID! :asshat: :bnarmy:

Here's the threadhttp://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9477&hilit=Furthermore. It got a 35 in New Hampshire, and a 29 in the Dixie Cup (the bastards). I rebrewed it late last year and entered Bluebonnet Brew-Off and Nationals. My blog entry about it is here, with a link to my original recipe:http://homebrewer2005.blogspot.com/2009/01/buddys-amber-kegging-day.html. FWIW, it is named after the guy who got me brewing who passed away a couple of years ago.

For the most part, the pepper fades into the beer flavor, accenting the malt, although there is a hint of pepper in the finish. Even though I am not an amber fan, this one is my house beer.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:36 pm

I was inspired by the Furthermore episode and brewed Jamil's APA and added 1.25 ounces of ground pepper in at the end of the boil. It's one of my favorite beers. However, the pepper flavor is barely perceptible. When I do it again, I want to crack the peppercorns myself instead of the groung stor-bought crap, and use 1 ounces in the kettle, and half an ounce after primary fermentation has subsided. Perhaps using the vodka infused technique.
Brandt

Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:59 am

Brandt wrote:I was inspired by the Furthermore episode and brewed Jamil's APA and added 1.25 ounces of ground pepper in at the end of the boil. It's one of my favorite beers. However, the pepper flavor is barely perceptible. When I do it again, I want to crack the peppercorns myself instead of the groung stor-bought crap, and use 1 ounces in the kettle, and half an ounce after primary fermentation has subsided. Perhaps using the vodka infused technique.

Let us know how that turns out. It sounds interesting. I may try the vodka thing with my amber.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing